Tuesday, May 09, 2006

More Boys on Stage















Right. So I'm thinking this is pretty much how this summer will go, and that's fine with me. I like watching boys on stage. This is a photo of A Pocketful of Deng, My friends Rob and Travis' band. That's Travis with his back turned playing bass. He killed me up there. Rob is in the back on the drums. Those guys are showmen, that's for sure. They won that round of their battle of the bands overwhelmingly. I complimented them all telling them that I write and I couldn't even begin to compare them to anyone I've ever heard before. The singer was a bit like Jim Morrison, and there was a definate Zeppelinesque blues guitar riff, but Steph pointed out a fundamental pattern comparable to the likes of Radiohead and Beck. Indescribable. They were a frenzy on stage...I couldn't help myself from dancing, and that means they were really good. At least that's how I measure a band. I like music that moves me. My homeboy J.J. with ME-TV was there filming the set to play later on the air. Believe it or not, I actually met this guy in a bar, then saw him on tv the next day! He's a veejay on our indie-rock music video station here in Austin. It was really cool knowing the guys in the band...and The Deng actually have a bit of a following. I could totally see why.

I can't wait till the cd release party.

Steph took me with her to this trendy restaurant on The Drag called Veggie Heaven this weekend. I ate tofu for the first time. She's a vegetarian but I hate vegetables. Haha! I just don't like the taste of green. I'm sorry. But you know I am always down for whatever. So she helped me order and I had the Texas Tofu, this fried tofu with all kinds of steamed vegetables with this oriental-type hot sauce on it. I mixed in some white rice and soy sauce, and I must admit it was pretty good. I think I am on my way to finally trying sushi...

I wish I wasn't such a fraidy-cat.

1 comment:

N said...

I think I'd eat anything if it had soy sauce on it. ;)

I was always a CD type of music lover - I never really bothered with gigs. How could I? Nina Simone isn't exactly playing them anymore, is she? But I think my tastes are beginning to change... I've been to a few live shows recently and I loved the atmosphere.