Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Make Damn Sure
















This immigrant thing is out of hand. I don't think people have their heads screwed on straight about it. Obviously, Texas has a quite large Mexican immigrant population. And I love them. I absolutely adore Mexicans. But I was on my way to work on Monday and stopped at the Mexican snow cone stand only to find it closed due to the immigrant boycott. And it was so hot outside. I think it's clear it's time for compromise.

So I got to work and was getting into the swing of things when I looked up and saw Jesse walking into the store. Within about five seconds of his entrance, the song Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin started playing in the lobby. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. I even laughed out loud. He looked surprised and pleased to see me. I can't believe I'd forgotten how hot he is. And there is something about that guy that just brings out the cool in me, I can't explain it. Because I'm not that cool around boys I'm attracted to. But when I talk to him I'm cool as a fuckin cucumber. So he hung out and talked to everyone, while I worked the line and acted as if nothing was going on, even though they were all crowded around Jesse, welcoming back an old friend. This is the first time I'd seen him since he changed stores. When everyone scattered, he was left alone in the office. I made my way back there and he stood up and threw his arms around me. I'm like, "Sup." Did the head nod and everything. Haha. I'm so cool. He will be at Rob's cd release party at the end of the month. I asked him if he was going to see them at Antone's on Sunday and he said no. I advised him that I would be there with Steph. Before he left I heard him talking to Rob, asking him about tickets to the Sunday show. Interesting. As much as I hated to see him go, I did enjoy watching him walk away...

I have grown really close to my friend Steph. The other night after work, she came over and chilled with me and we ended up talking for hours. She's usually pretty reserved but she really opened up to me about her life. I cherish moments like those. There's nothing I enjoy more than having intimate friends. We have plans to see The Deng play on Sunday. I can't wait. It's been a long time since I had a cool chick in town to hang out with.

Remember Him? He's dead. I spoke to Him yesterday for quite a while. They got Him; He grew up. He's even getting married after graduation. I suppose that's okay, but it's not necessarily for me. The way things were left, the way things have been for the past several years, were completely unsatisfactory for me. It hurts me terribly to be on bad terms with someone I care about. Terribly. And it's always in the wee corner of my mind. Speaking to Him was so natural, it was eerie. We spoke cryptically, but we understood each other like we always did. That in itself was comforting. Having made amends, in so many words anyway, that ancient ache has subsided. I don't know why it took Him so long to give this to me. He said He did what He had to do. Fair enough. However, in speaking to Him, I've realized that the man I was in love with those years ago no longer exists, just as I'd suspected. So it's time. Time to drop the capital H. I can't bear to call Him another Christian name, because it just wouldn't fit. He is who He is. So for the purposes of this blog, He will now be known as Gingerfish. That's how I remember him.

Thank you, Gingerfish.

Jam for the day: Make Damn Sure by Taking Back Sunday

1 comment:

BrianAlt said...

Your post made me think of this:

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying:
Valhalla, I am coming!
On we sweep with threshing oar,
Our only goal will be the western shore

I think the immigrant protesters have a point, but they shouldn't think that this is a new or unique issue.