Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I Laughed Out Loud








Fox News is the greatest channel on the planet. Not to be taken seriously, of course. Not that they take themselves seriously. Anna Nicole rules my world. A girl can't have too many baby-daddies, I mean really. And I could just kiss Britney Spears on the lips. She made rehab cool in an instant, so it seems that I'm right on time.
Maybe I'll shave my head...

Maybe not.

So I was looking up shit about rehab last night since I don't know anything but what I learned from the school of hard-knocks. All the shit they tell you in rehab I already know. It doesn't take a genius to pull a Nancy Reagan and Just Say No. But you'd think it does since the 12-steppers' success rate is like 5%. Then I found this:

Before rehabilitation programs began people recovered from alcoholism and other compulsive and obsessive behaviors. It is important to understand the difference between recovery and recovering. Individuals involved in conventional treatment do not believe that people can ever be free of the obsession to drink or drug. Before treatment existed this was not the case. Past programs promoted recovery or the idea that a person can be who they were before they ever drank or drugged. We teach people that they can be even more than that. The foremost psychiatrist of the 20th century, Dr. Carl Jung, spoke of alcoholics recovering through a "vital spiritual experience" which he described as "huge emotional displacements and rearrangements." Experts like Dr. Jung did not understand these recoveries, but certainly knew of them and thought of them as anomalies. Nonetheless and in the absence of scientific understanding, Dr. Jung and others tried to bring about these "huge emotional displacements and rearrangements" to help alcoholics recover. Dr. Jung reported that some of his patients did recover using these methods, but he had never been successful with anyone who had the "mind of a chronic alcoholic [or drug addict]."

Thank you, Mr. Jung. You're a goddamned genius. I guess I am too, then, because this is what I've always believed, and you've only proved me right. Apparently the ONE center in the country with this ideology has a sixty-fucking-five percent success rate. Wait, isn't that 1, 2...13 times better than EVERY other place in the country??

Hrmm.

You see what they tell you in rehab I just can't buy. If I haven't done drugs in a year, how am I a drug addict? Shit I haven't done drugs in a week, and I'm not a drug addict. That would imply that I'm addicted to a drug. Well I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms since Saturday. So explain to me how I'm addicted to a drug. I'll never understand, and I'll never be okay with that label. I refuse to be "in recovery" for the next 20 years. I have better things to do with my time.

This is what happened to my Austin, poor baby. When someone tells you something enough times you start to believe it. Remember the blonde chick in class who everyone said was a whore? She probably started putting out only after her virginity was stripped from her mind. This is crucial, because she let it be. The only way to change a behavior is to change your mind first. I have no prediliction towards the needle anymore. You see I changed my mind. No I wouldn't mind getting high. If you think about it, who would? Come on. Well it's not worth it. And my mind tells me that so guess what? I'm not doing drugs and have no real desire to. And you'd think a heroin addict--barely a week off it even--wouldn't be able to do that. At least that's what they tell you. Don't ever trust them. The biggest liar in the world is "they" and they always have something stupid to say. The only thing you can do is trust your heart and follow your mind. But you knew that.

There's a man in my heart that I can't hear in my head and it's crushing my soul. The headaches don't stop; still they rage out of control. I yearn for his touch--stronger hands have yet to touch my covered ivory skin. I can't begin to speak on his petal-soft lips or even the rose-hinted smell of his hair right now. You'd think it'd be comforting. Alas, it's too painful. I'm too cold.

6 comments:

BrianAlt said...

So then why did you start again? Why wasn't this true before? Be careful. The brain is an interesting thing. It's easy to convince yourself of what you want to hear.

Blush said...

getting to that...

Unknown said...

You obviously haven't been paying attention Brian. She didn't 'start' again. People like you do more to cripple a persons mind than any other. THe mind is an interesting thing, and you are right, it is easy to convince yourself of what you want to hear, which is exactly what she needs right now, rather than to be forced into believing something that will cripple any chances of success. If you aren't a former hard drug addict, just keep it to yourself. If you are a former hard drug addict, then I guess you are some Big Book thumping drone whose recovery is completely awash and must start over if you accidentally take a sip of a Cosmopoloitan.

Blah

BrianAlt said...

Funny how you think I can be so right and so wrong at the same time.

Don't classify me. I don't classify others. Try being part of the solution instead of the problem. Yes, THE problem. Interesting how you would show yourself now.

Yossarian said...

yeah most people i know who havent done drugs in a year go to herion.

Blush said...

once youve gotten as high as i have, on METH, then heroin is the only way to get any higher. i know you dont know shit about drugs, so trust.