Monday, June 19, 2006

Tubing...On A Sunday Afternoon

Yesterday Meagan and Steph and I drove out to the Guadalupe River to float around and drink beer all afternoon. I had never been and it was really fun. I mean just the idea sounds like heaven, right? We packed a picnic lunch to eat in our tubes. Turkey sandwiches, chips, even strawberries and chocolate dip. Yeah. We got some beer and iced it and stripped down to our swimsuits and took off. Floating, drinking. Floating, eating. Floating, smoke a cigarette. Floating, more drinking. It was divine. Then we got to the first set of "rapids." We've been in a drought, and although it rained the night before, the water was quite shallow. We got stuck on the rocks. I finally loosed myself and my tube spun me around backwards. Suddenly I hit a rock from behind that catapults me into the water, and onto the rocks. You know how sometimes when you fall you know you're about to?? Not this time. That shit came out of nowhere. So I pop out of the water and my first instinct is to hold my beer above it. Yeah. I'm not used to swimming in current. I quickly abandoned that idea, and the survival instinct kicked in. Good thing I am a strong swimmer. There are rocks right underneath me. I keep scraping them with my legs, so I make myself as flat as possible and try to slide over them. I'm trying to maneuver around the big sharp ones that are sticking out of the water. I don't know how much more I can take judging by the length I've yet to go. There's another girl stuck on a rock. In her tube. Yes. She's like, here, get in!! I fumble my way in there and off we go until we're finally in calm waters again. I swim back to my girls with my sunglasses still on my face, only bleeding a little, and a crushed, empty beer can in a koozie that read "I have a clear conscience and a bad memory" that I wasn't about to let go of. Laughing.

That was most of the excitement for the day, until Meagan spilled the chocolate all over herself and I laughed so hard I pissed myself. Guess you had to be there, heh.

Jam for the Day: The Joker by Steve Miller Band

1 comment:

BrianAlt said...

Happened to me tubing once. Shit can get dangerous. Always fun to see an ambulance pulling a guy out of the river in front of you. Makes you feel very safe.