Sunday, June 11, 2006

Unprecedented Sunday Fear and Sentiment


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My eldest readers already know this, but ya'll should know that I love Nascar, and most especially Mr. Jeff Gordon. I watch 24 every Sunday (and sometimes Saturday nights.) Anyway today he wrecked, with only 10 laps to go. Jeff rarely wrecks. But today his left front brake went out going into a turn. Going 200mph. Yeah. And he hit The fucking Wall. He hit hard, the driver's side smashing completely into The Wall. My jaw drops. Horror is flowing through my veins, however slowly. I feel paralyzed. The Wait. Seeing the car smashed into The Wall. No movement. I do not know if he's Okay. The announcers are Solemn. Quiet, and those guys are never quiet. I'm holding my breath, staring at the 24, tears brimming my eyelids. The Wait. The Fear. And then The Relief. Relief that flowed in waves over my body and coarsed through my brain right down to my toes and to my fingertips. I see his helmet pop through the window. I hear the announcers sigh with The Relief. Of course My Boy hops out of the window and goes directly to inspect the left front brakes to try to figure out exactly what the hell had happened. And I cried. Warm tears of sheer Relief. He was okay; no--he was fucking fine. But the wreck was so awful that they had to red flag the race to repair The Wall because he had hit it that fucking hard. Yeah. Then during the following caution they interviewed Jeff. He said it was the hardest hit he'd ever taken and that he really didn't know how he walked away from it. He said that he never even lost consciousness. He then mentioned having a headache.
That's my Boy.
That's my Soldier.
That's my Jeff.
He's so Smart. And Focused. He knew that he had lost his brakes going into the turn and steered downtrack into the grass to try to slow down as much as possible before he ultimately hit the wall. You should have seen the Dupont Chevrolet. It was fucking destroyed. But if it weren't for Jeff it would most definately have been worse. No one understands my love for Mr. Gordon. But that's what I find so hot. That Intensity; that Presence of Mind. And That combined with The Skill with which he does that which he does is something I can get down with. Something I can Admire. Something I can Respect.

So 24 didn't finish the race today. So Jeffy wrecked. So what? He may have dropped out of the top ten in cup standings and lost the race, but what he did not lose was his life.
I'd rather the latter.
But that's why he's my Hero. He risks his life on a weekly basis for what he loves. And he's been The Best in his field and he will be again, because of his Presence of Mind, his Skill, his Intensity, and, most importantly, because of his Passion.

Oh, and he's pretty Handsome too.

They restarted the race with 5 laps to go at Pocono International Speedway. Denny Hamlin, a rookie, won first place. It was his very first ever Nextel Cup win.

All's well that Ends well.

6 comments:

Blush said...

this post means so much more than you'd think at first glance...

can you figure it out?

Blush said...

although everything i wrote is completely true--its allegory, first off, and you can take that however you wish ;)
and yes the capitalization...

the capitalized words symbolize my feelings about falling in love right now and why i cant (the wall.) after the phrase "my boy" the capitalized words begin to describe the kind of man i want to fall in love with, my "hero." and that the "end."

Otis said...

First time here...

THIS was a good read.

Blush said...

why thank you, its one of my favorites too :)

Matt's Blog said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at mattvid07@gmail.com (and mention your blogs name as a reminder), and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at mattvid07@gmail.com, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please indicate the name of your blog in any response. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt