Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Life's Been Good To Me So Far

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oh man. I am really happy with my job at Chevron, which I've been calling The Station, so we'll go with that. The Station is right across the river from downtown, and right across from Freebirds, in a prime location so that we get a fair share of tourists and it's quite nice. There is a mural of Stevie Ray Vaughn on the outside wall. We are family-owned and sell lots of locally-made products, which is a big deal in Austin. (Keep Austin Weird.) Since we're family-owned, and simply lease out Chevron gasoline, instead of working for The Man, I'm working for someone who actually knows me as a person. This makes for a nice environment. My boss, the manager, is nuts. In a good way though. He's older and made his money as an executive for Whole Foods and does this for his friend to keep himself busy. After his divorce I think he started partying or something. He's the biggest bullshitter you ever met. Half of my job is just spent bullshitting with my boss. Or bullshitting with customers. We have lots of regulars. Like me; I was a regular. It may seem kind of funny that I'm so happy to be working at the fucking gas station but I doubt I'd ever work at any other. It's fucking easy and I get to stay inside. (It's fucking hot outside.) I get paid more than I do at Freebirds, and the same as I did at my tech support job, with way less stress and way more bullshitting. (I like bullshitting.) I'm going to be full time and that means I will have full medical coverage, and money to pay all my bills. It's funny but this seemingly dinky little clerk job is seemingly the answer to all of my problems. Problems I don't talk about here because they are so mundane. It's funny how the mundane problems can really bring you down. But I guess having money to buy groceries so that you can eat isn't really all that mundane. I feel like a ton of bricks just leapt off my shoulders.

Having a job that gives me the opportunity to make someone's day just that much better makes me so fuckin' happy.

Ain't no shame in my game.

1 comment:

Grampa said...

Damn skippy!