Friday, March 17, 2006

Room Is On Fire And She's Fixing Her Hair

I have the day off today so I think I'll do something fun. After I go take care of a little unpleasant business at the bank, I'm gonna walk down Sixth and check out the South by Southwest Music Festival. This is one of those huge indie music festivals that lasts pretty much all week long. There are 500,000 extra peeps in town, and about 95% of them are hotties. It is like Houston after Katrina but decidedly more attractive. I was already planning on doing this today since I have the day off and since one of my favorite bands, Tilly and the Wall, is playing tonight. I don't have a wristband, but I figure it will be worth going down there even just to scope the guys. Then last night I got an aim from this guy I used to sleep with years ago. His name is Chris, and he plays guitar for this metal band called Linus. He is actually really, really good. He lived with me for a while when I found out he had nowhere else to stay. I had an extra bedroom, though he never slept in it. I rationalized that if I were ever in a similar situation (i.e. sleeping in my car) I would hope someone would help me out (and eventually they did.) Anyway, it was a really cool couple of weeks in the summer of 2002. Chris was playing guitar when he wasn't at work or helping me with chores, and I would draw and paint, etc. while he played. There was something that really connected us by doing that. Making art with someone is very intimate. So when we were done making art downstairs, we would usually end up making art upstairs. It was never a relationship, it was just ...cool. Then one night I woke up in the middle of the night and he was gone. I found a note. I still have it. He wrote that he had to go. He wrote that he had to make amends with his past. He wrote that the people you need, you bounce into. I was terribly upset. I never thought I'd see him again. I moved away later that winter--everything had gone horribly wrong. About a year later, I was back in College Station, and imagine, things were not going well for me. I was really thinking about quitting school and just moving back home with my Mom to live a sad and boring existence. But Danielle called, and told me she was taking me to see this Led Zeppelin cover band in town from Seattle that night. Awesome. I love Zeppelin. At the show, I was up front, and this guy taps me on the shoulder, and guess who? Chris. Since then we've spoken once or twice, but we've never been "friends" again. So out of the blue he aims me and apparently they are playing tonight in a showcase and he REALLY wants me to come. Hmm. I wonder what is on his mind? Either way, I will not be caught off-guard for the 3rd consecutive weekend! I will shave my legs this time!

When masturbation's lost it's fun you're fuckin lazy...

Jam for the Day: Room On Fire by The Strokes

2 comments:

N said...

"He wrote that the people you need, you bounce into."

On one level that sounds so honest and sweet! Let us know what happens with him, but forgive me for being slightly cynical about his reasons for getting in touch with you... then again, maybe (you shaving your legs!) you're being just as cynical in return!

Blush said...

cynical, yup. haha

drunken lens! we've missed you so!