Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ode To Futility

When I rang your doorbell so many months ago, you invited me in with a warm smile and a gracious handclasp. You were thrilled at my presence but then you did something strange. Or rather, it was what you didn't do that I thought strange. After chatting at the door, you took my coat and made your way to the couch, but you never asked me to sit. And you never offered me coffee. So I am just standing here. Waiting...
Once I got comfortable enough to come to you on my own and sit, but you didn't even notice. I sheepishly stood back up and took my place on the carpet. Tired of standing around like a fool, I foolishly danced around the room, desperate for your attention. I thought I saw you raise your eyebrow, but I could never be sure.
You were always glued to the screen.
So now my feet hurt, my back aches, and I've grown bored of standing. And resentful. I must bid you adieu, good gentleman. I could have loved you, but not without coffee. You understand; a lady must keep her dignity.

But I can't leave without my coat.

3 comments:

Blush said...

now thats what im talkin bout

Yossarian said...

maybe he didnt have any coffee. maybe he thought you were an adult and could sit down if you felt like it.

Blush said...

gotta love that allegory