Thursday, November 03, 2005

Don't Kill the Messenger

Oh, how I hate to disappoint. Last night I fell asleep on the couch and awoke at midnight and alas, no return phone call. Nothing. I do not know what to say about this. It's becoming something of a pattern. So I had a long talk with my (male) roomate about men and their phone habits, and he opined that if he were to give his phone number to a girl, he would definately want her to use it. So we decided that I should call Street Musician and take the initiative. So I did and got...his voicemail. Someone once said,

"One soul-crushing defeat after another."

Haha. Yes.

Can any of you men explain this sort of behavior? Reverend Dan? Armaedes? Wombat? Unkind K?

Help!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't sweat it, Blush.

Armaedes is right when he writes We don't actually care about talking to you, we just care about you wanting to talk to us.

For now all you need to know is that he is much less aware of time passing than you. At a guess, you can't figure out why he isn't desperate to talk again, lest you find someone else. And you also worry that he won't call again because he's found someone else.

It's all in your head.

He has mental egg-timer going, and when time's up: he'll think of you again, and probably call. We guys have a mental queuing system, the only way we can deal with life because we can only process one thing at a time. After he first called, you, sadly, went to the back of the line. Your turn will come, and it has nothing to do with his interest.

When he does call next week, the best thing you can do is behave as if the time lag means nothing.


Wombat

Blush said...

wow thanks for all the information. i had never considered this theory, but of course thats it. but what makes yall think i am so desperate that its not the same for me? maybe i just need to see if theyll call ME back. i know i probably do sound desperate but yall dont know the whole story. maybe one day i will explain for you all. i am starved for affection. really, i am just vain and need all the attention i can get and i get very dissappointed when i am denied that. i am a very flawed person. but yall knew that...

Anonymous said...

Why can't you comment on comments? Anyway, Rev Dan has it cold - have fun, live life.

And, why I don't call? I don't want to come across as 'needy' or lonely or desparate. But that's me. I also haven't found anyone I'd really care to talk with either...

I'm pretty excited about living my own life for now. I envy you and your freedom - don't fuck it up by trying to tie yourself to someone. Don't give up your freedom without a huge tear-ass fight.

(3rd comment in one night - sorry!)