Sunday, August 14, 2005

All the world's a stage...

Thank God I did something this weekend, I have been posting too much politics. Last night I went to the final performance of "As You Like It" at the University of Houston Shakespeare Festival. It was enchanting. The typical Shakespearean comedy, rife with cross-dressing and lovesick fools. I cannot say how great it was enough times. I wish we still used Shakespearean English. It's so rhythmic and beautiful. I think we are going to go see "Greater Tuna" next week, which is about "the third smallest town in Texas." It is supposed to be quite funny, and it should be, as I know small town Texas can definately serve up a moment of hilarity or three or four. Though sometimes life in a small town is a tragi-comedy. I am a little bummed out today though because Jeff Gordon didn't place in the top ten at The Glen. He did pretty well considering he got moved to the back of the pack not once but twice. I am also taking consolation in the fact that he moved up to 13th in the Nextel Cup standings. And I guess congratulations are in order to Tony Stewart for winning at The Brickyard last week and the road race today. And how could I not mention Robby Gordon (no relation to Jeff) kicking ass and taking names in both the Busch series race yesterday and the Nextel Cup race today, placing 2nd in both. Booya!

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..."
-William Shakespeare "As You Like It"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone always reads...even you...

Bryan said...

Hi,

I just stumbled over your blog today, And I was really interested in what you had to say. I also like that Shakespeare quote.

Anyway, Have a great day and keep writing!

BYE !

Dodge said...

I saw 'As You Like It' preformed by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-Upon-Avon, England while I was studying overseas...it really is great and even better when performed by those who do it best. Glad you got to see it!

The theatre really is one of the most underappreciated arts here in the US. It is such an ingrained part of the UK and such pride is taken in it. I guess it's all in the history...