Sunday, October 02, 2005

Counting Chickens

This is the third time I've tried to do this post, as I am having frustrations with Internet Explorer. That is also why I'm not posting a picture at this time. So today I walked to the park to attend Lance Armstrong's party for Austin. Today is the 10th anniversary of his diagnosis of cancer. So he threw a party to show his appreciation for Austin's support, with Sheryl Crow performing. I love Sheryl Crow, so I was pretty excited. Highlights included:

Lance Armstrong's daughter dancing on stage with Sheryl Crow (her soon-to-be stepmom if you hadn't heard.)

For the last song, Lance came out and played drums. They played a ZZ Top song.

There is a kind of...movement to convince Lance Armstrong to run for Governor of Texas. He is bashful about it, but he seems a bit interested in the idea. So when asked if she would like to be (Texas) First Lady, Sheryl said, "Let's skip the governorship and go all the way! If I'm gonna get a big house, I want the BIG house!" That amused me.

Sheryl Crow performing Black Betty. It's always heartening to see a woman rock.

My favorite part was when Sheryl played Strong Enough and dedicated it to Lance. There are several ironies within that. I enjoyed every one of them.

So I am here, here am I.

On the way to Austin my bus stopped in Houston. I rode with a lot of peeps that are revacuating (yes that's an original word) to New Orleans and Beaumont and Houston. I thought I had seen some shit, but I was thoroughly appalled by the leper colony that is the Houston main bus terminal. Every fool in there was worrisome and suspect. Other than that it was a fine ride. I was ready to get the hell outta there.

Started reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas yesterday. Really like it so far. Maybe a little too much drugs for even me. It's funny the ways drugs play a role in your life. Watched Boogie Nights for the first time in several years and added it to my list of favorite movies. What an amazing cast. The part where Rollergirl (Heather Graham) calls Amber (Julianne Moore) her mother is perhaps the finest cinematic event I've ever witnessed on film. Indeed.

Check out Awfully Serious and run up that hill.

Jams for the day: Strong Enough and All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ditto your thoughts on Boogie Nights. I think it's one of those movies that will end up being a classic.

Like Heather, it just gets better with age.

Wombat