Friday, October 21, 2005

Panther Pride

Today it was autumn. It was cool in the shade and warm in the sun. I walked downtown to the bank to cash my last paycheck. I am not so poor as I was yesterday. I worked all night last night. I think it's safe to say that I hate closing. I am having the best hair day and it's a shame that I have to work tonight. We wear ballcaps and ponytails. I watched Friday Night Lights today. That movie got it just right. There is nothing in the world like High School Football. If you have ever lived in Texas and been involved with football season in a small town, you know exactly what I mean. I have neglected to tell you all where I grew up thus far, but I lived in Lufkin, TX. We have Astroturf and a football stadium with a Jumbotron. Remember, this is high school not college. In 2002 we won the State Championship with Reggie McNeal. It was huge. So they upped the program. But I remember going to all the football games when I was in school, and being involved in Dance/Drill Team I was on the scene for nearly everything. We had it made because we were the entertainment. Basically, a drill team in Texas are the girls who mostly dress up western with hats and boots all sequins and petticoats and fringe. Drill Team does kicklines and dances while the band plays during halftime. I fucking loved that shit. There is nothing like a performance. I wish I had a picture to show ya'll. Those of you out of state might laugh but that is bomb shit here. But the movie was so real. Like, the boys cried when they lost. That is so true. I remember being a senior in high school and we were in the playoffs but we lost just barely to Plano. I saw young men I grew up with crying like babies. It sounds funny but it was really heartbreaking. The movie was so real, they even showed Lufkin being beat by Dallas Carter in the playoff grid. Haha. I remember that happening a couple of times. Anyway this movie made me cry. Really it was just the end. They graduated and had to leave that life behind. I feel much like they did now. I didn't at the time...but I will always miss the lights.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Don't you just love having great hair days! I had one last month that was worth remembering!